Monday, May 05, 2008

I may be crazy, you may be right, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...*

So. How's this for crazy?

The other day I drove past a place in Cabbagetown that had a 'for rent' sign on it. It was right in the heart of Cabbagetown, right where I have wanted to live since I was a little kid.

For some reason I kept putting off calling. Today, at my mother's urging, I finally called. The place sounded great. 2 bedrooms on two levels, large outside space, two bathrooms, 5 appliances, heat and water included, parking space, fireplace, and most important, in the heart of cabbagetown on a beautiful tree-lined old street filled with wonderful neighbourhood feeling houses. All this, with a monthly cost comprable to what we're paying at our place now.

I asked Samatha (the owner) when I could come by and see it. She said she had a showing at 2pm and I could come if I wanted. So I did. My mum and I did actually.

Before we even got inside mum said "call her now, tell her to cancel her viewings, you'll take it now." I laughed and said maybe we should see inside first (which, come to think about it, is a distinct role reversal from the last house we bought, mum came to see that with me and before we even went I said "I want the house" and she said "maybe you should see inside first")

We went inside, scopped it out, and as soon as the owner was out of earshot mum said "take it! take it now!"

So. Um. I did. I went upstairs and said "what do I have to do to rent the place?" She said, give me a deposit. I said "okay".

We get posession June 1st, which means a bit of time with two abodes, but that's what we needed to do to get the place, and it's well worth it.

I just sent a note to our current landlords. That part is tough. They're really awesome and I hate to leave them. :( I was telling a friend that I felt like I was breaking up with someone. An actual quote from the email: "You guys have been wonderful landlords and we'll be sad to part ways, but hopefully we can still have a pint sometime..."

Anyway, yeah, so, um, wow. Plus, just wait until John sees the place! He'll be so excited! :P Yes, I have the most trusting partner in the world, it rocks.


* I spent my teen years obsessed with Billy Joel




Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Who Links Here