Friday, September 14, 2007

Transit pet-peeves

No, I'm not going to talk about the 10 cent raise in transit fare or the $10 a month increase in the cost of transit passes ($109 per month, sigh) that was just announced in Toronto.

No, my pet peeve is people with backpacks. How is it that people with backpacks can't see how much extra space their bag takes up? Everyday I see someone get whacked by a backpack from some shelb who can't be bothered to take it off.

I understand it's not a hard and fast rule. If the bus/streetcar/subway isn't too packed, then sure, leave the backpack on. As long as it's not so big it totally blocks the walkway (yes, I've seen this too).

But where is the common sense / common courtesy on those crowded transit vehicles? It really drives me batty. I'm sick of being hit with bags, having to engage in the bag obstacle course to get to the back (people staying at the front instead of moving back is a whole other rant), and watching as bags whack others as they walk by. I've even seen a situation where a little kid was actually knocked over because someone turned quickly and the bag whacked her in the shoulders and head.

Come on people, I know it's a pain in the ass to take your bag on and off, I know, because I take mine on and off, and it is kind of a pain in the ass. But too bad, because I'm the one who has decided to carry a backpack and so I have to be responsible for it.

/rant




Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Who Links Here