Thursday, March 08, 2007

i don't deal well with pain

I’ve been sick for almost two weeks now.

The first week and a bit was with a virulent viral infection that had me cycling 3 fevers an hour. Something that concerned my doctor enough that she tested me for leukemia. In the list of words you don’t want to hear from your doctor, “I’m testing you for leukemia” ranks pretty bloody high up there.

So, I did the tests then spent two of the longest days of my life waiting for the results. I do not have leukemia. I did have some whopper of an infection though because my white blood cell count was up and I had a concerning “left-shift” in the differential between my blah blah and my blahbladyblah (medical terminology isn’t my strong suit).

That then triggered a migraine, which I didn’t recognize as a migraine because I thought it was part of the other thing. This meant I couldn’t see properly and I was completely dizzy and woozy for a good 5 days. When I mentioned it to my doctor at my Monday follow-up appointment and asked her if she thought it might be a migraine, she said it might be and I could try my migraine meds. So I did. And voila, suddenly I could see again, and no longer felt like I was going to fall over.

But wait! There’s more!

Tuesday night my throat was a bit sore. Wednesday morning it was swollen shut and I couldn’t swallow without wincing. Today I made it back into the doctor (third time in two weeks, apparently I’m going to make the most of my tax dollars this year…) and found out that I have strep throat, presumably I caught it because my immune system was so compromised because of the other infection.

I had no idea what excruciating pain strep throat involved. Seriously, I want to cry, but crying would hurt my throat even more. I have antibiotics, which are supposed to kick in after 24 to 48 hours. I’m hopin’ for 24. Please god, let it be 24. I don’t know how much more of this I can take.

Okay, that’s enough bitching for now…




Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Who Links Here