Friday, May 23, 2008

Theatre is my cocaine

So, there are a bunch of things I *should* be doing, so obviously that means it's time to write a blog entry. ;)

If you've been reading this regularly for the last few months you'll know that I spend a lot of time at Jet Fuel in Cabbagetown (Toronto). It's a place where I can bring my laptop, drink amazing lattes, and get shit done.

Lately though, lately it's a place where I come with my laptop and every intention of getting shit done, and instead talking to random people lots. Although it's not the most conducive for getting work done, it is exhilarating. I met a woman here who is a stage manager and really wonderful. We have long in depth discussions about theatre that both exhaust and exhilarate me.

Me and theatre. Ahhh. What a journey.

Something I've loved since the very beginning (I remember putting on plays for my parents, and when they weren't available, my stuffed animals – I was a really exciting kid.) I never feel as alive as when I'm involved in theatre. And it's not about being on stage, although that rocks too. It's anything about theatre. Talking about it. Watching it. Working on it. Being in it. Everything. I'd forgotten just how much I loved it in the last couple of years, starting to write about theatre for blogTO really reminded me just how much I loved it.

And it's just continued building. You would expect that perhaps the more I'm involved in the industry the less interested I would end up being as the novelty wore off. But exactly the opposite has happened. The more I am involved the more I want. I think theatre is my cocaine.

So, because I can't get enough of theatre, I'm building a site. I'm building something to write all I want on. It's going to take time and energy, but I am more excited about it than I have been about anything in a long time.

I need to come up with a succinct statement for the theatre, an objective or goal or mission or whatever jargony thing you want to call it. The longer version is – I have always thought that if I won the lottery I would use the money to bring theatre to the masses. Not sure how I'd do that, but that's my goal. I want theatre to be the way it was in Shakespeare's day, I want it to be something everyone goes to. I want theatre to be like movies. There's tons of it out there that is almost as cheap as a movie, and cheaper because you're not buying confections... But people don't know about the small productions, or they are intimidated by them. I want to make something that lets people know about theatre, make it accessible.

So that's what I'm doing. The site isn't ready for public consumption yet, and I'm still rolling things around in my head, but don't worry, I'll be sure to let you know when it's up so you can all humour me by going to it. :P




Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Who Links Here