Friday, March 04, 2005

the scent of a man

it's a well established thing that scent memory and the power of scent is very very strong. i have always been a big believer in both aspects of this particular phenomenon. i bring you an example of each:

in grade 8 for the first half of the year i had a language arts teacher who i adored. i don't actually remember her name, but she retired half-way through the year (which seems odd to me) and i remember crying when she did. i also remember being so excited to see her at our grad. now, she was a nice lady, but i'm not sure she was so spectacular that i would normally have become so attached so quickly. finally at my grad when i saw her and clung to her for the first time in a few months i realised she wore the same perfume as my great grandmother (i know most people don't know their great grandparents so well, but she lived until i was in university), a woman i cared deeply about and felt a great deal of trust and comfort around. somehow the fact that mrs anderson (i think that's her name, it just popped into my head now) wore that same perfume made me open myself to her much more quickly than i would have otherwise, and i was able to discover the wonderful person that she was.

and now for a more viceral example. i know a lot of people don't like perfume and cologne. i don't like them at work, but there are times i love them. i'm thinking particularly of cologne right now. if we assume that colognes are meant to attract women and excite their desire, then i gotta say, there are colognes that sure as hell do that for me. today was an example, the bus driver was wearing something delightful and i was sitting a couple seats behind so every once in a while i would catch a wiff of whatever it was. i spent the whole bus ride wanting to go up and nuzzle his neck and breath deeply.

there are a few colognes that do this to me. unfortunatly i have no idea which ones they may be, since it's never seemed appropriate to approach a stranger on the street and say "excuse me sir, what is that delightful scent you are wearing? i would like to know because it makes me want to be 'taken' (note suggestive eyebrow wiggle) by you right here on young street..." it just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that most people would take in stride.

i do have one clue though, one of the scents that makes me "cream my jeans when (s)he comes my way..." is something often worn by gay men (seems like some cruel turn of fate to me...). oh, and one is the cologne that rich gale used to wear in high school. *grin*

so, there you go, a post about my great grandmother, and a post about smells that turn me on, all in one entry. perhaps in honour of that combination, and to fullfil dickey's request for a dirty joke, i will share with you one of my great grandmother's favourite jokes (well, one that she deemed okay to tell her great granddaughter, i suspect she knew many more off colour ones she didn't tell me).

what are the three main parts of a wood stove?
...
...
...
...
...
lifter, leg and poker.

(hmmm, okay, this works better when said out loud, it ends up being "lift 'er leg and poke 'er!", a joke that is sooo scandalous and soooo funny when you're 12)




Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Who Links Here