Wednesday, March 30, 2005

my dirty little secret

I love drama.

Not the kind of drama you see in the theatre (although I love that too). Not the rehearsed and practised eloquent words flowing from the lips of characters played by actors who have been ‘living the part’ throughout rehearsals.

I mean, real life drama. Not the trite insignificant drama of ‘reality television’. The words hurled between people with no forethought and no planning, and certainly no eloquence.

I mean real real life drama. The trite insignificant drama of work. The power plays. The keepers of information, knowledge is power after all. The frantic last minute changes.

Today we were told that a deadline we had of September has now been moved to May. The resulting flurry of activity and gnashing of teeth was fascinating. Everyone reacted differently, but all seemed to be reacting with at least some modicum of panic. Personally, I don’t go in for panic so much, so it always astounds me when I am surrounded by it. Don’t get me wrong, I work with a bunch of really great people, they really are all fabulous, it’s just that each reacts to pressure differently.

But man, I love this stuff. The pressure, the expectations, the timelines, the feeling of importance. I think that’s the biggest part, for some completely unjustified reason I get this great feeling of self-importance when there is something like this going on. My chest puffs up and I strut around getting things done. I think it’s because suddenly you have a lot of power, people leap to do things for you. It doesn’t matter that it has absolutely nothing to do with who is asking for it, it is just that the timelines are tight, it feels like it’s because *you* asked. There is also that feeling in the back of your mind that they wouldn’t be asking you to do this if they didn’t think you could do it, if they didn’t value your work they wouldn’t have bothered coming to you on this.

So, that’s my dirty little secret, I love the drama, I love the pressure, I love the tight deadlines.




Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Who Links Here