Monday, September 06, 2004

labour day

So, it's Labour day (Labor day in the States I guess...) and I’ll be honest with you, I’ve never really seen this as much more than a day off, or as the dreaded last day before school starts.

I think some places take it far more seriously than others. For instance, I think there is a big parade in Hamilton, which is a steel town. I might be talking out my ass here, but I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.

But here’s the truth, it was long past high school before I had any idea what Labour day was about. The fact that it actually contains the word labour didn’t occur to me, it was just the name of something.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a day off with pay. But I just wonder how many people have any idea what it is about. I know woefully little about it, no idea when it started, or really, what it is about. I do know that in Europe it’s at a completely different time, like November or something, and it is a much bigger deal there. Okay, I say Europe, but mostly, I mean France. I think it’s the case in other parts of Europe too, but I can only speak for France.

What’s the point of this post? Not really sure. I guess just to say, happy Labour day, have fun doing whatever you’re doing (me, I’m doing a while pile of nothing, it’s great!)




Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Who Links Here