Monday, December 27, 2004

language mix-ups

okay, i'm exhausted, but have much to tell. so rather than slaughtering it in my exhausted state i will just relay a story my mum told me over wine in a cafe today...

we were talking about someone having their "fingers in lots of pies" and she said that it reminder her of a story. it made us laugh loudly (i know, hard to believe, my mother and i laughing loudly together, that *never* happens *grin*)

a friend of hers told her about a fench woman that he knows and a conversation they were having. this woman speaks very good english, even has a grasp of colloquial sayings, which i must say always impresses me.

so she was talking to graham and said (imagine this in a french accent) "he is a very busy man, he, how do you say it? he has is fingers in many tarts"

and we laughed and laughed and laughed. see, sometimes it's dangerous just picking out the french word and substituting it for the english (or, in my case the english word said with a french accent a lot of hope).

night folks.




Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise Who Links Here